Friday, January 4, 2008

Welcome to Stella Knits 3!

Happy 2008 to all my readers who may have found my new blog home! I promised knitting, didn't I? I actually have had time to knit since my school life and work life has slowed down a bit due to the holidays. I was wondering for a while if I was actually done with knitting. But I found a cure for my knit fatigue - making something cute for a baby. It has been so much fun! I get to look at the cute Baby Ull baby pictures and knitting something so small is almost instant gratification. Even knitting sleeves is fun, because they are so cute and tiny.

I wish more people I know were having babies, because these outfits are so cute, I want to make more. I'm definitely not one of those women who want to have a baby so bad they make clothes for it just in case - seriously, I don't want any myself, but they are cute enough to look at from a distance. Knitting baby outfits is fun, too, but that's where the baby fun stops for me.

I've finished body and first sleeve, second sleeve is halfway done. I'm considering the knitting 50% of this project because of the big unknown to me involved in the finishing - the steeks. Three steeks are involved here - the front, because this is actually a baby cardi, and the sleeves. The sleeves have a little placket at the top, and it remains to be seen exactly how I'm going to sew them into the armholes. But the Ull directions have been pretty clear so far, so I'm taking it one step at a time.

What else can I say about my first two color knitting? It's sometimes challenging not to get my two color yarns too tangled but it is fun seeing the pattern develop. It's also hard to work with two colors when knitting rows rather than rounds, such as at the shoulders of the body and at the top of the sleeves. Purling with two colors? Not so much fun, but I lived throught it. Somehow, the yarn of the color I need is always at the wrong end. So that lead to weaving in a lot of ends, but even that was ok with me.

Happy 2008 to you! Change your links and your bloglines so you can follow the exciting progress... hugs to all of you who keep reading despite my huge breaks!

4 comments:

jen c said...

hi! i like the new blog, welcome to blogger! man, this reminds me that i need to actually blog myself... eek! nice to see some knitting again as well. of course, you've reminded me that i need to probably post some knitting as well... :)

Anonymous said...

Great to see you're back in blogland (and knitting too!).

claudia said...

Good to hear from you! Happy New Year.

Amy said...

It's so sweet! Great to see you back, and happy new year.