Monday, January 21, 2008

Fetchings & Steeks

Becca threw a fun knit-in a couple of weeks ago with one rule - because it was New Year, we needed to cast on something new. Makes perfect sense. It's usually easier for me to do some mindless knitting when I'm socializing at the same time, but I was up to the challenge. I wanted to knit something for my girl, and I was wavering between the Fetching and the Rib & Cable Mitts from IK. So I asked her which she liked better, and luckily, she picked the Fetchings pattern. I think it's easier because there is no thumb gusset, and also the instructions are so much easier to understand.


I had bought some alpaca for this project, and she's reporting that they keep her hands nice and warm. It's also supersoft. I loved making them. It took about 3 days, so fast and easy. I like the pointy cast-off because it's so victorian and cute. Unfortunately, they curl back quite a bit, and I didn't block them, because I didn't want them to loose their cling! I'm tempted to make a pair for me - and if I do, I think I'd modify them to be a little longer over the fingers - maybe one more cable repeat. I think that might help with the curl-back.
In the meantime, I'm getting pretty close with the baby sweater: it's been steeked! Proof that I got over myself and cut into my knitting:


It felt safe enough to cut after I sewed 2 lines with my sewing machine at the right and left edge of the cutting stitches. Just like everybody else always says, nothing unraveled! I sewed in the sleeves and covered the cut edges with the little placket - that came out ok. I've also done the first button-band. I'm having issues with picking up stitches on the second one, but maybe all I need is a crochet hook, like the pattern specifies. Next time, this will be a finished project!

Until then...Stay warm and be good to each other!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I added an extra cable repeat near the fingers to my fetchings, and I found that you need to do that bind off kind of tight so they don't curl.
Congrats on a successful steek!