Tuesday, April 1, 2008

I blame the PMS

So I decided to blame my reaction in my last post on pms. There is really no reason to get mad at my clients for trying to be nice - wanting to fix things, yet not being too great at listening. I mean, why did I read "Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus" anyway? They really are great guys for helping me out with the work they sent me, even if they didn't really need extra help at the moment. I just have to find different ways to find new clients. It's nerve wrecking right now but I just have to remember my "coping skills".

Since I have all this extra time now, I started knitting. Two projects! The first of course is new socks. After finishing the pink spiraly socks for my girl, I was itching to start something new. I literally feel anxious when I don't have a knitting project, and I can't just watch tv. It makes me feel like I'm wasting my life. So I reached way back into the yarn stash and found this beautiful Claudia's hand painted sock yarn. This is my "evening knitting" project.
I started out by making Roza's socks from IK Spring 07, but I'm a knit-tard when it comes to brioche stitch. (I can't slip purlwise in a way that creates a brioche.) So after I followed that pattern for the ribbing I was left with my imagination. I really liked making the spiral boot socks from IK Summer 07, so I came up with a variation on that pattern. When I made the spiral socks, I wanted each sock spiral to spin in opposite directions. I figured out how to reverse the pattern by basically just doing everything backwards, and instead of doing K2tog's, I did SSK's. So for these socks, I do 5 repeats of the spiral pattern in one direction, and 5 in the other, which creates the zigzag. Fun! Here they are "in the field":

I also (accidentally) invented a new, ruffly cast on. I usually cast on twice as many stitches as I need, then *K2* the entire first round for a stretchy edge. I always knit on my stitches when I cast on, but this time, I did the cable cast on, which resulted in a cute little ruffle. I love accidental inventions!

The other project, the "morning knitting" is in the very beginning stage:

This is a little t-shirt from Knitting Lingerie Style. I think it is SO cute - the kind of shirt that makes you feel cute the moment you have it on. I love working the lace. The books explains the stitch patterns in both words & charts - 5 yelp stars right there! The specified yarn is Cascade Sierra which I could not find around here (and I went to 2 stores), so I'm substituting Brown Sheep Cotton Fleece. I usually try to avoid knitting with cotton, for all the reasons we know, so I'm glad the Cotton Fleece has 20% wool in it. Also, it is very affordable, a big plus for me right now. I'll try to post some progress on this one. Unfortunately for me, the pattern comes in finished sizes 33-1/2, 38 and larger, but not in "35" but luckily my swatch came out a little smaller than gauge, so I should be lucky.

Well, it's time to move on to my other coping skill (besides blogging) - baking. Cherry pie for dinner! YUM!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I *heart* cherry pie!

Susanne said...

Hi! love the new little lace top. very nice! I have read your blog for several years now? through all its "versions". I love that you contacted your client base to refer you on. I too am self employed and often ask my clients to refer me on. One of the strategies I have used is to offer them a discount for every reference they give that results in an actual client! Not all that unique but perhaps in wording your email, people felt that you were avidly looking for work (which you were) but they perceived you to be desperate. Using terms like the best advertising is from "present clients" and by "word of mouth" etc might garner you new clients rather than the fear-they-might- lose-you syndrome! It is a fine line that we try to walk, obtaining new business while managing what we have and treating our good clients like they all are our "best"!! Good luck, hope the US economical softness doesn't have too much of a negative impact.