Wednesday, March 19, 2008

A Rant. You have been warned.

I decided to change my webhost this week and so I have no email for a couple of days. I feel so isolated and disconnected! Just like loosing your cell phone. It's weird. I'm moving away from the incredibly bad ipower to the hopefully much, much cooler Hostgator. All the webhosts' websites look pretty much the same to me, promising 99.9% uptime and 24/7 tech support, but only time will tell. At least Hostgator seems to have real people, their hold system tells you how long the wait is and how many people are holding in front of you, and you can rate their email responses. But seriously people, stay away from ipower, unless of course you actually like to be on hold for tech support for an hour before anyone answers. Or, if you like filling in trouble tickets, then getting back answers that make no sense. Or, if you like getting disconnected from tech support. Or, if you like being told the problem will be fixed in 60 minutes. Or if you like your ftp site address to change without being told, so you're embarrassed when your clients ask why they can't get their files.

One of my whinier clients resorted to calling me each and every time he sent me an email to see if it was there yet, then muttering under his breath "god!" when I told him "not yet." How about now? Is it there now? Funny, his computer says he sent it. When was the last time I checked? Could I check again now? I finally had to tell him to stop or I would put him on notice. Calling someone everytime you send an email actually does not make it work faster. Did you know that? Unfortunately, work is slow - I think when people are worried about paying their mortgage, they don't really feel like remodeling or adding on. Sad for me, but that means I can't really drop annoying clients either, as long as they have work for me. But it helps to write it down.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've been pretty happy with dreamhost, but I recognise you might have different needs. I use about 1% of what I could and should use with them.

I hate hate hate tech support issues, what a sucky time suck.

Kisses to my fluffy white boy!